Monday, April 26, 2010

¡Qué vergüenza!

So one thing that I´ve learned from the misión is that you just have to laugh at yourself. There are so many embarrassing moments that happen every day. And I used to get so embarrassed and my face would turn red and I would just go quiet. But now I have learned that I just have to laugh at it. With not knowing the language, the cultura, and everything, I make a lot of mistakes. But we make mistakes so we can learn and progress. It´s a beautiful process. So let me just share with you a couple of my most embarassing moments, just in the last week…

So it is officially cold in Villa Independencia. I hope you´re enjoying the warm weather while I´m freezing here! We broke out coats and sweaters and even our umbrellas. It has been pretty fun, let me tell you! And I even have a delightful story about the rain. We had one night that we were running late and we had to be back in the pensión at 9. So here were two Gringas running in the rain, so that we could get back on time. Well, I was wearing my clogs that still give me blisters and I was having a hard time walking that day. But I was just doing all I could to keep running. We were only a couple blocks from our pension and we only had a few more minutes to make it to the pension and then… I tripped. I didn´t trip over a rock or a dog or anything. Nope, I tripped over my own feet. And I didn´t just do a cute little trip and recover quickly. Nope, I completely fell on my face in a puddle. It couldn´t really get much more embarassing! I got scraped up pretty bad but I just jumped right up and started running again. I just wanted to pretend it didn´t happen. My poor companion thought I was crazy! I was covered in mud, bleeding, but we made it to the pension on time! But ya, let´s just say that I´m not a big fan of the rain anymore. Not so much…

Another fun momento this week… The music director didn´t go to Church yesterday so they didn´t have a director. They forgot to ask someone else to do it so they called me out of the audience right before the opening hymn. Now let me just explain something real quick… Leading the music before the misión was not a big deal. I actually loved leading the music. Basically all I had to do is spell my name in cursive or pick apples (I learned that one in YW! J) because hardly anyone paid attention to what I was doing. But there aren´t any pianos or any music to follow here. Not everyone knows the melody so they try to follow or they just sing their own melody. It is a lot of fun to listen to. So when they asked me to lead, I went up there but I had no idea what we were going to sing. I had no idea what the song was. I know all the hymns in english but Castellano is a different story. So I just got up there and took the biggest leap of faith. I just started singing any old melody. And everybody else was singing their own melody. It sounded pretty bad for about a few seconds and then I finally realized what song it was and we were good. After I sat down, my companion and I just had to laugh, silently of course because we were in church.

And I still have little embarassing moments with the language. I wish I could tell you that I´m already fluent in Castellano but I still have a long way to go. But I´m still working on it and praying for the gift of tongues. I know a lot of the stuff but I just make dumb mistakes. My favorite one of this week was when I told an investigator that the Holy Ghost has a body of flesh and eggs. (juevos= eggs, juesos= bones) It´s always fun to see what´s going to come out of my mouth. A lot of times I have no idea what I´m saying. I just try to say what the Lord wants me to say and teach with the Spirit. And if I just pray hard enough and put all my trust in the Lord, I can do it. I can teach the pure doctrine so that they feel the Spirit. I just love the misión and the embarassing moments that I have. And I can´t wait to have more. Just know that I love you and miss you. ¡El Reino de Dios o Nada!

Les amo,

Hna. Ellsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment