Monday, May 17, 2010

No me gusta mis lentes . . .

Ok, so i don’t really understand this but every time I wear my glasses, I usually have a bad day. I realize that you think I’m making this out, but it’s true! There was a lot of wind this week (cold wind, fyi) so i had to wear my glasses because I kept getting dirt in my contacts which would make me start crying. It was a little weird when I would be talking to people in the streets, and I would start crying in mid-sentence. I could usually say it was the Spirit, but it still was a little weird. So I wore glasses and here’s what happened…

My first attack of the dogs! I knew the day was coming when I would be bit by a dog, but I was hoping I could avoid it. But we went to the house of our misión leader and he kept telling us that the dogs were fun. Just a little too friendly. Friendly might have been the wrong choice of word. So we were leaving, and two dogs started barking and biting me. Nothing too bad because I had the protection of the Spirit. But there’re a few nice battle scars to show off.

Next, our cellular just kind of died on us. Actually, it didn’t really die, the misión switched the plan and forgot to tell us. So we had no phone for about four days and you would’ve thought it was the end of the world. Everybody was trying to get a hold of us, and the president of the misión had to send elders to come to villa independence to find us. It was a miracle that we found them in the street. It was crazy! And afterwards we had to pass by a lot of the members because they thought something horrible happened to us. How did we ever survive without cellulars?

I also got assigned another talk. I’m not a huge fan of talking in front of people especially when I have not a lot of notice. So i wrote my talk early Sunday morning. I hardly had time to get ready. I was in such a hurry that I forgot my scarf and even worse, I forgot my name plaque. So I had to endure three hours of Latina moms telling me to ¨Abrigese¨ aka ¨Wear your scarf!¨ And I had the opportunity to lead the music again. I figured out that I was in front for more than half of the sacrament meeting. While I was leading the music, going off script of my talk, and living out assignments to the members; I felt like a missionary! I have flashes of this feeling often but I usually lose it when I don’t understand something or make a mistake in my Spanish. But yesterday in church, I felt like a representative of Jesus Christ. And what’s more, I felt his love and the guidance of the Holy Ghost. It was a big momento for me yesterday. It might’ve been a bad day because I wore my glasses, but there was a huge click for me. I can be an instrument in the hands of God. I’m grateful for this experience to learn and to grow. Besitos y abrazos!

Les quiero,
Hna. Ellsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment