Monday, March 8, 2010

Que raro!

So I realize that I didn´t write last week and my mother was probably freaking out but I have a very legitimate excuse – Futbol. Yep, I didn´t have time for email because I was too busy playing futbol with the district. Sorry about that, but check it! I love futbol aka soccer! I have to apologize to Stacy for all the times that I made fun of soccer because now I pretty much love it!

It was my first time ever playing with Latinos and I made two goals. And of the goals was against a Latino. And just so you can have an image of the skills of this Elder, you need to go watch ¨She´s the Man¨ and watch how they do a little flip to put the ball in play. It´s pretty cool! I´m going to learn how to do it… maybe. Just so you know, I´m converted to it. You should all start watching South American futbol and tell me which team is really good and which one to cheer for. I need to buy a jersey but I don´t know which team to support. And since I´m not allowed to watch sports… there´s your assignment.

Anyways, did you know that in Spanish they do not have a word for ¨awkward.¨ I´ve looked in about three different Spanish-English dictionaries, and asked several bilingual people and they have nothing. I find this very interesting because I feel like everyday is filled with awkward moments. The closest thing they have is ¨Qué raro.¨ I never made the connection before but I almost feel like my entire mission is one big ¨raro¨moment. But i´ll let you be the judge. I dedicate this blog entry to !Qué raro!

1. One of the most raro things is when we go door to door, clap our hands, and then ask if we can sing a song to them. I try to put myself in their shoes and think, ¨Would I let two strangers into my house to sing a song?¨ The answer is a probable no which is why I´m always grateful for the people that do let us in. But not everyone lets us in. We get ignored, doors slammed in our faces, or even a dog went after us once. But last week we had the goal to find families and we only had fifteen minutes left and one family to go. We tried a couple of doors and no luck. So finally I chose a house and my companion said that we were just going to start singnig when they opened the door. I was so scared! But we did it and a man opened the door. At first his face was full of confusion and irritation. And then his wife came to the door as well. I´m sure their thoughts were ¨Que raro!¨ But then their faces changed and by the end of the song,they said they were leaving but asked when we could come back. They asked us! I love when awkward moments turn good. And on the same line of door contacts…

2. So imagine with me if you will… a stranger gringa that can hardly speak Castellano comes up to in the street and talks about an important message and then asks for your address and phone number so she can share more. A little bit raro, no? I can´t even count how many times they couldn´t understand me. It´s always a little raro but it´s still amazing how many are interested in knowing more. The most awkward street contact happened last week. I was talking to a señora and then I notice my companion that started doing a little dance. After the contact I asked if she needed to use the bathroom. Well, it just so happens she did but the problem was that there are no public bathrooms in La Calera, and we were far from our pension and from any members´ house. I can´t really tell you the end of this story but let´s just say it was very raro…
3. And Saturday we taught a señor and in the first few minutes we found out that he was a missionary for the catholic church. I thought it was a little bit raro for us missionaries to be teaching another missionary of another church. But we taught him about the Restoration and by the end of the lesson we committed him to baptism. It was the most amazing lesson that I´ve ever been and I could feel the Spirit so strong.

So this is what I´ve learned. It comes from the Oregon roadtrip for Sherry and the beast, I mean Jeff. ;) My sisters and I made up a catch phrase ¨It´s only awkward if you make it awkward!¨ (don´t ask!) And i´ve decided that it applies here. It´s only awkward if I make it awkward. I have the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I want to share it with everyone. What´s so raro about that? I´m grateful for this experience and I wouldn't trade my numerous raro moments for anything. Well, I hope all is well and just know that you are loved!

Les amo,
Hna. Ellsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment