Monday, January 18, 2010

Besos, Perros, y el Sol

I’ve now been in La Calera for 10 days!! It feels like a lot longer, sorta´. Days feel like weeks and weeks feel like days. It’s kinda of weird. I don’t know really what to tell you so I’ll try to tell you a little more about the life of Hna. Ellsworth. It’s not a lot, but it’s my life!


First, do you remember that thing I had before the misión called ¨my personal bubble? ¨ Well, it has officially been destroyed! You have to greet and say goodbye to every hermana with a kiss on the cheek. It is still a little weird for me but I am starting to get used to it. But Relief Society is crazy because you have to give everyone a kiss when coming in. Everyone is just so friendly and loving!


Another new thing for me is there are dogs everywhere! I’m not a huge fan of dogs but they’re pretty fun. We’re always being followed by a dog in the streets. But the useful thing about a dog is that they will bark when you’re at the front gate. You usually have to clap instead of knocking on the door. But a lot of people can ignore the clapping but it’s a lot harder to ignore a barking dog. Yep, the dogs are helping our missionary work.


Also, another weird thing is that it definitely summer here. I feel like its July not January. But I have realized the importance of sunblock because I’m getting sunburned in places that I have never been sunburned before. But I would definitely rather be hot than freezing in Florida or something. (JK Kris!)


Anyways, I just realized that I sound whiny but really I am loving everything here! Everything is new and exciting and I’m already addicted to Argentina! I am talking and understanding a little bit more Castellano every day! I can understand Gringo pretty good but Argentina Castellano is still too fast for me. Everyone is really nice about it, maybe even too nice about it. They don’t want to hurt my feelings by correcting me. But I’ve learned to make friends with the kids because they’re not too shy to tell me when I’m saying it wrong. So hopefully I’ll have the language down soon.


Well, I have one of the coolest experiences that happened this past week. We were teaching a new investigator and I wasn’t being too much of a big help. I was switching off with my companion teaching but then the lady we were teaching, Andrea, would ask questions or give her comments about it, and I would get lost. She spoke really fast! Anyways, it got towards the end of the lesson and Andrea had been talking for a really long time and my companion turned to me to talk. I had no idea what was going on so I just said a quick prayer for the Lord’s help and testified about prayer and the Book of Mormon. And I had no idea what I was saying, I was so nervous. And then Andrea started talking again and she would point at me and I thought I had offended her or something because all I could understand from her was ¨cosas malas.¨ (bad things). I still had no idea what happened until we left the charla and I asked my companion what she had said. She said that Andrea had felt the Spirit when I had talked and felt peace for the first time in a long time. We visited her yesterday and she prayed and felt that same feeling and she wants to learn more. Now I didn’t want to tell that story to brag because I know that I didn’t do anything. That was entirely the Holy Ghost teaching to her. It doesn’t matter what is said but the Spirit that is felt. It’s amazing because we really can be instruments in the Lord’s hands when we put all our trust in Him. So I’m grateful for the divine companionship of the Holy Ghost and the opportunity to be in an instrument in the Lord’s hands. I love my Heavenly Father and I know this Gospel is true! El Reino de Dios o Nada!


Les amo,

Hna. Ellsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment