Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rain Shower and Shower of Miracles

So it’s been a long time since I’ve written. Sorry about the wait, but it has been a crazy last couple of weeks with Christmas, New Year’s, new companion, mini missionary, and everything! It has been a little difficult but the blessings always outweigh the trials. I have seen a ton of tender mercies these last couple of weeks and I hope you enjoy hearing about them.

La Navidad - I possibly had the best Christmas in my life. The only thing that it lacked was dressing up as a wicked Nephite in the family nativity. (That will always be my highlight of Christmas.) But this year was equally special because I was in the Mission Argentina Cordoba choir of missionaries. We went around singing Christmas hymns in parks, Wal-Mart and everything. We were singing at a park, and a news station started video taping us. And we sang in a shopping mall and I got to do a ton of contacts and give out Books of Mormon, and I saw and talked to my favorite member family in the mission. Huge tender mercy for me. And we sang with Pte. Salas´ family. It was just a ton of fun. And when we were traveling in a bus, we were still singing some of Christmas carols in English. It was a ton of fun and I think the people liked it! It was crazy to be singing Christmas carols in 100 degree weather, but I was definitely feeling the Christmas spirit. We also had a kilo of ice cream and met up with the other hermanas – Hna. Mortensen and Hna. Dickey! It was so much fun! We continued singing carols in my area for members and investigators. And then we returned to the pension and ate tacos and enjoyed some fun Christmas traditions – American and Argentinean. We went up and slept on the roof and got to see all of the fireworks. There was a ton!! And then the next day we opened presents. I opened mine a little bit early and gave most of them away. But I loved it all the same. After, we had a party with the zone. We played signs aka señales (Spanish style) and werewolf (it´s like mafia/murder in the dark). We changed the game a little bit so that it was mission style. It was a little sacrilegious but a lot of fun! But the highlight of the day was calling home and talking to the family! Best Christmas ever!

Nuevo Año – We ate banana pancakes in honor of Jack Jackson’s song with some ice cream on the side. It was delicious! And then we went to bed on time and woke up at midnight to see all of the fireworks. It was crazy! There were so many fireworks. They don’t have any laws against it here, so I saw some pretty crazy illegal fireworks. I kind of want to buy some for home. (jk!) But they were pretty intense, so we got too scared to go on the roof. But it was still fun to watch them through our window. The next day we had an asado with the zone and played some soccer. It was a pretty fun day, and I was very grateful to have time to take a nap. It was lovely! And then we tried to find a cyber to write home, but everything was completely closed! I’m embarrassed about it now, but I got pretty upset about that. So that’s why it has been a while since I’ve written. I’ll try to make up for it today…

Step-Daughter – So we had a little surprise come to us for the New Year. A new hermana arrived in the mission, and she got called to be my companion. She has 6 months in the mission, but she had problems with her visa. Hna. Martinez is from El Salvador, and she’s a pretty neat girl. She’s 29 years old and kind of timid but sweet. I kind of felt like her step mom. In mission terms, when you train someone new in the mission, you become their mom. So Hna. McDonald is my daughter, along with Hna. Mortensen. But Hna. Martinez has already been trained, but I had to show her a little bit about the Cordoba mission and how we do it here, along with the traditions and customs of Argentina. Thus I’m not the mom but I’m kind of a step-mom. But it only lasted a week. She is now off to bigger and better things.

Terrible Trio – So for a week we were in a trio. I was kind of training Hna. McDonald and Hna. Martinez. But it was pretty difficult because Hna. Martinez doesn’t understand English and Hna. McDonald is still pretty new to understand all of the Spanish. So I spent a week translating and trying to say everything twice. Let me tell you, it’s not as easy as it looks. But I’ve decided that trios are not my favorite thing. I’m glad that it was just a week.

Mini Misionera – So yesterday we got a mini missionary that ended up being the companion of Hna. Martinez. Hna. Quinteros is her mini, and she’s pretty much amazing! I met her at the beginning of my mission. She’s this way cute member that always has a smile. I was way excited to see her. It’s a little hard for Hna. Martinez because she doesn’t know the area, investigators, members… But I plan their days, and we share investigators and contacts and everything. It’s great to have four hermanas in the ward. Yesterday was a little hard because it was their first day, and they got lost. All they had was the map and the Spirit. We had lunch at 1, and they weren’t there. Hna. McDonald and I left to go search for them, but we didn’t have too much luck. It was pretty crazy, but they showed up about a half hour late. But I think they’ll be fine. We just have to put all of our trust in the Lord, and everything will turn out fine.

Rain Shower and Shower of Miracles – We’ve been getting rain every day at about 3 o´clock. We try to get into an appointment; and if not, we rely on our little umbrella. I’m sad because I used to love rain, but the mission has kind of changed my opinion. But we are happy to see all of the miracles that are happening. We gave all of the members Books of Mormon to give to their friends, and we received a ton of references at church. And we were able to put some more baptism dates. We are excited to baptize in January! We had an appointment with an older lady named A_. She has had a ton of problems in her life, and she practically asked us if she could be baptized. The Lord is blessing us a ton. We are happy to see the miracles!

One Year in Argentina – Yesterday I completed my one year birthday in Argentina. I made a list to eat all of the things that are just specially made in Argentina – facturas, criollos, dulce de leche, alfajor, empanada, y grido! It was a pretty fun scavenger hunt, and we even did a service for a member so that she could practice her English and Hna. McDonald could practice her castellano. We even had an amazing charla with a family. We’ve been working with D_ and C_ for a while, and C__ told us that she knows that this church is the most perfect church on the earth. Overall, it was a great day!

Package from Liz - Today we are spending the day in Centro and we ate a Mexican burrito and visited the Catholic church and we are going to go shopping next. The highlight of my day was to receive my mail and I got a package from Liz Huber. She is pretty much amazing! I have to tell you why. I had just finished my first journal in Argentina yesterday. And I’ve been looking for another one but I haven’t found the time or the money. But the package came today, and she gave me a new journal! It was the most perfect thing that I have ever seen! I loved it! And this journal is pretty much amazing! It is full of scriptures and thoughts and everything. I just love when I can see the miracles that happen in my life. I love when God blesses me through friends, family, companions, and other people.

I just have to tell you that I love all of the blessings and miracles that I am seeing in my life. I am so incredibly blessed! I know I am where I need to be. I know that this church is true and we need to share this gospel with everyone that is ready to listen. I know that Christ lives, and I testify that Heavenly Father loves me. I’m grateful for this New Year to put goals so that I grow closer to Them. Thank you for all of your support, love, and prayers! I love you all!

Cuidense,
Hna. Ellsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment